Top 5 of 2013

How good it feels to be sitting down at my computer, blogging again.

I’ve had such a busy December and then I started the new year by being sick.  Ugh!  I posted my favorites from 2012 and I wanted to recap what I achieved last year and set some goals for the upcoming one.

Looking back over things, it’s quite apparent that I was much more productive (sewing & knitting – wise) in the first half of the year.  And wrapping up loose ends was the name of the game in 2013.  There were several projects I’ve had in the works for quite a while and in 2013 I nearly finished them all up… nearly.

My first wonderful, sewing feat was completing my Macaron Redux dress:

This dress is my first delve into couture, as the entirety of it is nearly all hand stitched and it has underlinings, linings, etc. galore.  To date, this is the most challenging and rewarding dress in my closet that I’ve made.

While I don’t wear this jumper often, this green bobble jumper is one of my favorite knits of 2013:

I’m a sucker for this wonderful grassy green color, but every time I wear this knit it makes me happy.  I’m happy with the fit, the wonderful 30’s design of it and who knew I would cease to hate bobble after knitting this up?!  heh

One of the most simple to sew tops is tops in my wardrobe:  (heh did you see what I did there?? )

My birdy blouse is a top I have to keep myself from reaching to week after week – I love it that much.  Perhaps it’s the embroidered blue bird or perhaps it’s because I used a 3-ply silk crepe, but I really had to hold myself back from making this top in every color of the rainbow.

Another long-time coming project is my Aqua Waves jumper:

This was another WIP that I finally got completed in 2013.  The third time was the charm for the sleeves and doing them so many times taught me the correct way (and ratio) to pick up stitches.

Last but not least is my (crazy button) Navy Hawthorn dress:

I think my fabric was cheaper than purchasing all of these buttons, but I love this dress.  I had an image of what I wanted to create and I was able to pull it off which is the best feeling ever.  After sewing for a couple of years now, I feel much more equipped and knowledgeable to be able to make my ideas take shape.  I’m rather looking forward to what I’m going to cook up next for my closet in 2014.  :)

On a more personal note, these are two major highlights that happened last year.

I bought a freakin’ house with my wonderful husband Felix!!!

It still doesn’t really feel real yet.  Perhaps it’s because I have yet to move into it… heh  But that’s for another post.  We’re working on the house weekly (if not daily) and it feels good to be making some progress on it, bit by bit.

After a very sad loss of Baxter in the early summer, we welcomed the addition of Phineas who has already filled me with more hours of joy than I can count.

This little bun is so fun and he’s the best new addition to the house that I could have hoped for.  While I’ll always miss my sweet & sassy Baxter… Phineas is quickly turning into my Phineas.

On the agenda for 2014:

Well… for starters, I’m hoping to actually get some sewing done.  I haven’t been able to sew a stitch since umm… October.  I’ve been knitting away, but I’m really starting to miss not being able to sew something.

I’m looking forward to moving into our house and continuing that adventure.  So beyond this, I sadly don’t have any firm plans.  You’ll just have to wait and see what I come up with.  :D

Cheers & hope you all had a lovely Holiday and New Years.  Here’s to 2014!

In: Knitting Sewing

1. Tasha January 13, 2014 — 8:24 AM

Your house is so cute! Oh how I wish for weather again that’s shown in the photo, i.e. greenery. lol

I really love all of the items you completed in 2013, and your goal to focus on WIPs served you well. Can’t wait to see what you come up with this year on the sewing and knitting and house front!

p.s. If it makes you feel any better, I hadn’t sewn since September until yesterday. ;)

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:40 AM

Thanks so much Tasha! I focused on my sewing WIP’s last year… this year it seems I’m tackling more of my knitting wips (since most of my yarn and fabric is all packed up still).

2. You’ve created some gorgeous things over the last year and your new home is no small undertaking! I hope you and Felix have a fabulous 2014!

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:40 AM

Thanks Vicki Kate! Yes… the house sure is consuming a lot of my free time.

3. erin January 13, 2014 — 7:21 PM

You house is super cute! And your macaron dress is so gorgeous! Love the way the black lace is set off with red.

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:44 AM

Thanks so much Erin! Happy new year to you.

4. Maddie January 13, 2014 — 8:31 PM

Well you had a great year, that’s for sure! I just reread the post about the birdy blouse and I forgot all about how wonderful 3 ply silk is.

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:42 AM

Oh yes… I love love love 3 ply silk. Happy New Year to you Maddie.

5. You’ve done amazingly well with everything else you’ve had going on. I love your macaron and Hawthorn dresses best! Hope you get to move in soon!

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:44 AM

As of now, our lease is up on our apartment at the end of March… So we’ll be moved in by then at the very least. :D

6. Jeri January 14, 2014 — 5:51 AM

All of your makes are lovely. I think the way you incorporate your own personal sense of style to everything is refreshing and I love the vintage patterns you use!

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:43 AM

How sweet of you to say Jeri. My personal style is ever morphing but I continue to be in love with 40’s fashions. :)

7. Ginger January 14, 2014 — 8:50 AM

Happy New Year, lovely! Hope 2014 is the best year yet for you, Felix, and the bunnies!

1. Liz January 14, 2014 — 9:42 AM

Thanks Ginger! Happy new year to you too.

8. Becky January 14, 2014 — 10:21 AM

I can’t remember if I saw the outside of your house before–it’s so cute!! I love the colors and the porch. It looks so cozy and inviting.

Even though your productivity may have been down, you made some really nice things! Hope you find some sewing time soon!

9. Oh my gosh I almost forgot about some of your amazing makes!!! I’m not sure how I could because they are in fact amazing. What a happy reminder. You’re so inspiring with your glamorous fabric choices and effortlessly chic sense of style. *sigh* You’re just so darn cute!! Speaking of cute… OMG CUTEST HOUSE EVER!!! I don’t usually read home improvement blogs, but I seriously want to see more of your new house adventures!

Here’s to an amazing 2014!

xo

10. Carla January 15, 2014 — 7:31 PM

Simply love your 2013 makes! Love your style choices and fab glasses! So adorable, I am completely charmed. Congrats on the new home and fur baby. : )

11. Sara January 16, 2014 — 3:54 PM

The birdy blouse is just too perfect. I need to set up an Ebay search for that pattern!

I also can’t wait to see what kind of amazingness you come up with regarding your adorable new house. All the best for 2014! :)

12. doortje January 28, 2014 — 11:44 AM

I’d love to sew more this year too! Past year was al about knitting, discovering vintage patterns, knitting my first jumpers (while remodeling in our new house and trying to sell the old one) Now that 2013 is over everything starts to come together, just before Christmas we finally moved in our new house (after 1.5 years of hard work) and there are serious buyers for the old house. Can’t wait to make a sewing room for myself and spend a few days behind the sewing machine, though I could knit all year round too…

13. Mary March 10, 2014 — 9:40 PM

You make that birdy blouse again. It is really cute. You know you like to make garments and they turn out beautiful. Enjoy it, Mary

14. Evie May 28, 2014 — 12:04 PM

That house is incredible!!! Best of luck to you all with the refurb projects. I have a feeling it’s going to be spectacular!