The Saddest Pattern

I just have a quick post for you today… but it’s a topic which I’m sure many of you can sympathize with: The Sad Pattern.

What is a sad pattern?  This is a sad pattern!

This is the bodice for Simplicity 3016, that I’m using for my Valentine’s Day dress.

More detail:

Someone had not taken good care of this pattern enough to fold it properly.  Instead it’s a sad, crumpled mess.  I don’t even have the heart to show you the facing pieces.

This picture was taken after I carefully pressed the pattern with the iron (no steam):

Still looks like a sad pattern, no?

I was going to trace the pattern anyhow, but the crumpled state of the pattern made it quite difficult.

My husband came in and he thought what I was doing was highly interesting and snapped a photo.  :)  I was simply doing some math at the bottom of my traced pattern (with my concentration face).  He never quite sees all of the steps that go into creating a garment until he’s involved with helping me pin the bodice shut or is marking my hem so he was quite impressed with what he saw happening.

One thing I wanted to ask you all… Have you ever seen this insertion?

Someone went to the extent to sew in their tissue extension in the bodice, which I’ve never seen before.  Have you seen this on your used vintage patterns?

But then they carelessly crumpled up the pattern….  Go figure.

1. Miriana February 7, 2012 — 8:08 AM

Maybe sellotape was hard to come by.

2. Lauren February 7, 2012 — 9:38 AM

Oh wow, I never would have thought to sew the tissue instead of tape it… that just seems like a painfully unnecessary extra step (that would risk ripping the tissue as well). Although I guess it is better than taping, since that stuff disintegrates and makes all kinds of a mess after 50+ years or so. At least the thread color is pretty! :)

1. Liz February 7, 2012 — 3:50 PM

I know!!! Tape does have a tendency to age poorly, but did they know that back then like we do now?

3. Oh dear, a sad pattern indeed! I’ve never seen a sewn in extension either, but then they didn’t have scotch tape?! I’m a geeky nerd anyway and trace all my patterns, vintage or otherwise because I always need to make some sort of adjustment! I’m glad your other half was impressed with the process, it’s incredible the time we put in to simple steps like this, isn’t it?

4. My guess is that the sewer was long-waisted…because that’s the kind of adjustment I’ve made on my garments!

1. Liz February 7, 2012 — 3:51 PM

I was thinking the same thing.. when I made my muslin without the original adjustment I found the bodice was too short on myself. And I’m short-waisted. So I just added the length back it and it’s perfect! heh

5. Amy February 7, 2012 — 11:41 AM

I still have patterns from my teenage years and they all look like this. Almost completely unusable! I have no idea what I was thinking (just stuff it in there, I guess!). At least I know they were loved and made. But stitching the pattern, I’ve never seen that.

6. Kerry February 7, 2012 — 12:43 PM

I’ve never seen anyone sew the tissue together like that. I suppose it’s kind of smart really, I just cut then pin it apart.

7. Lucy February 7, 2012 — 3:38 PM

Interesting, I’ve never seen that before – maybe she’d just run out of both tape and glue? Whatever, I hope she treated the dress she made better than that pattern!

1. Liz February 7, 2012 — 3:52 PM

Let’s hope so… :)

8. Bex February 7, 2012 — 5:33 PM

I trace my patterns onto thin interfacing, and when I need to insert more fabric I sew it too – the tape won’t stick ;)

9. I have not seen that done before, but what a great idea!

10. Melissa February 10, 2012 — 7:08 PM

…You mean to tell me patterns last for more than one use? I’ve never, ever been able to get one to fold back into a semi-usable state.

11. Casey February 13, 2012 — 5:57 AM

I’ve found some very rumpled, torn patterns in the past myself–some of which require piecing during the tracing process because things have been so badly torn! :/ It’s sad… But at least they can be salvaged with a bit of patience!

That insertion method is really interesting. I’ve seen pinned and taped, but never stitched! Intriguing!

12. […] I felt pretty freaking brilliant: I ran out of tape, so I sewed the tissue pieces together! I got the idea from Liz haha. And no, I still haven’t bought more tape. Need to get on […]