My A-Plus A-Line Skirt

No, I’m not giving myself an A+ on my skirt… It’s actually called the A-Plus A-Line Skirt by Twinkle Sews which is a free pattern on BurdaStyle.  But I do give the pattern an A+.  heh  Okay, I’m officially a sewing dork….

Can I just say right now how much I do love this skirt?  It’s such a cute skirt design and it’s incredibly comfortable to wear.

The center front pleats make for lovely ease while walking and sitting while the upper hips remain somewhat snug for an A-Line design.  But what led me to choose this pattern is that it looked like something that could be modeled as a 40’s design as well as a modern one.  I love patterns that cross multiple generations if I simply changed my hair, shoes, and blouse.  I was originally going to wear this skirt with a more 40’s look (with a stylized white cardigan) but Felix mentioned I don’t wear enough color.  As a result, I’m looking more ‘everyday’ in my modern reddish-coral cardigan and an easy side-ponytail.

I made this skirt using a good quality wool flannel fabric I found at one of my local fabric stores, Fishman’s.  I lined this skirt using a grey bemberg, like always.  And what’s even better is that the pattern from Burda includes separate pattern pieces for the lining, which is not always the case with commercial patterns, let alone free patterns.

The yoke waistband is faced with a horsehair canvas for stability and I also used a stay-tape at the top of the waistband where the lining is joined together with the skirt (instead of below the yoke).

I’m surprised how many blog posts I’ve made about this skirt:

Fitting a Yoke Waistband, Part 1
Fitting a Yoke Waistband, Part 2
Skirts in Progress
The Dreaded Hems

I finished this skirt officially over my holiday break, but didn’t have a chance to take pictures until quite recently.  This skirt was one of the items I had included in my fall sewing plans and I’m happy I was finally able to get it completed.

Felix and I went to take these photographs over our lunch break last week near Millennium Park, in a side area called Lurie Garden.  It was a very pleasant day out I didn’t even need my coat.

I wished I had worn a blouse that showed off the yoke of the skirt a bit better.  The waist line of the skirt hits just below my actual waistline and when I tuck in shirts I look nice and trim.  I like it paired with this sweater, but it seems to end up making me look a bit too ‘hippy’.

Would I make this skirt again?  You bet!  I think I need it in a ruby-red color or some other bright color.  I could also see wearing this skirt with some bright tights for a bit more pop since the skirt is on the plain/basic side.

I love this shot.  Granted you can’t see the skirt really well, but my lovely husband was having some fun taking some ‘artsy’ photos during this lovely day, I just had to share it with you guys.

Speaking of my lovely husband, Felix.  I snagged the camera away from him at the end of the shoot to take some photos of him in the great scenery and this is what he did:

Yeah… that’s my purse he’s sporting so I didn’t have to carry it around with me.

And that’s not all…

Apparently he got pooped out.  Good thing we stopped after this.  Poor guy would have suffered near exhaustion if we kept going. hehehe

What’s funny is that he actually had such a great time, he blogged about our outing.  Check it out if you don’t believe me.  :)  I know I wouldn’t believe me after seeing him wilting like a flower.  heh

1. Great skirt – but you should have saved it for one of the sew weekly challenges to prevent sewing up a challenge in a day (hehe). I totally agree that this looks modern or 40’s. You will have to do an outfit post someday and style it all 1940’s. That artsy photo is quite lovely, you are lucky to have a talented hubby take pictures.

1. Liz January 12, 2012 — 2:55 PM

Heh. Don’t I know it!!

2. Melizza January 12, 2012 — 7:52 AM

What a flattering pleated skirt. I’ve been wanting to make a pleated skirt. This would make a great choice.

You have a trooper of a hubby there :)

3. Andrea January 12, 2012 — 8:04 AM

Liz, this skirt is lovely. A true classic, in my opinion, and it looks great on you. I really like the fact the yoke makes it fitted and flattering while the skirt is roomy enough for comfort. Pair it with sweaters or blouses… I can see this becoming a wardrobe staple.

1. Liz January 12, 2012 — 2:56 PM

It is totally comfy and chic. I hope I can make another one not too long from now.

4. Lindsay January 12, 2012 — 8:19 AM

I love this skirt but I also love that garden! My husband and I visited Chicago last summer and we were so excited to find it. It felt like we were transported from the busy city to a nice tranquil countryside, completely with adorable bunnies nibbling on the plants. I could have stayed in there forever!

Now back to the skirt… I have been looking for a good A-line skirt pattern and this one gets extra points for the fun pleats on the front. Thanks for sharing!

5. Felix January 12, 2012 — 8:20 AM

I see now that it was a mistake to give you every photo from that photoshoot.

1. Liz January 12, 2012 — 2:56 PM

I have no idea what you’re talking about….heh

6. Great skirt, a real beauty. Love the pleats.

7. Suzie January 12, 2012 — 9:37 AM

What a gorgeous skirt – love the pleats. I’m working on a skirt with pleats at the moment, but I don’t think they will turn out quite a neat as yours! And loving the photoshoot location – and the dedication from your man! My boyfriend got so fed up of me asking him to take photos (and giving off when I didn’t like them) that for my last birthday he bought me a tripod! lol.

1. Liz January 12, 2012 — 2:57 PM

I baste my pleats as soon as I press them. ANd then I press them at least 2 more times throughout sewing so that fabric has some memory of them once I let out the basting threads.

I too have a tripod, but I ‘forget’ to mention that to Felix…

8. Ginger January 12, 2012 — 10:52 AM

Wow, such a cute skirt! I love those pleats! You have such great style– and the outfit doesn’t make you look hippy at all!

9. Qui January 12, 2012 — 12:20 PM

great skirt Liz! I like the pattern, maybe I can work it into my sewing lineup. It’s always nice to see lovely end results of somebody else’s before trying a new pattern :) And all this talk about Felix, I was beginning to wonder what this guy looks like. And then, you added his picture! Sweet :) He really does a great job taking photos for you–my hubby needs some photo training :(

10. Sherry January 12, 2012 — 12:36 PM

Great skirt, beautifully made and fitted, and I like how you can wear it modern or vintage! Your husband looks like fun!

11. Love the skirt! I think the shoes are genius with this skirt and a modern cardigan. Just the right mix of retro and modern.

1. Liz January 12, 2012 — 2:59 PM

Thanks Stephanie. These Mary Janes are one of my shoe-staples. They’re so comfy and well made; I do hope they last another year at least.

12. erin January 13, 2012 — 12:25 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE this skirt! You should give yourself an A plus for it :)
    I was wondering how you did the pleats they are so crisp – read your reply to a comment. Good idea!
    Thanks for the link to the pattern. I hope to sew this someday, when I pluck up the courage to tackle zippers.
    Totally love your shoes as well. And your husband is just as cute as you are!

13. Beth February 19, 2013 — 1:57 PM

Hello! I came across this post via a link on Burda style. I dislike fusible interfacing (gluing fabric ugg) and I was wondering about your process with the horsehair canvas and if you could tell me what weight you used, (lightweight, medium weight). I have some lovely reclaimed wool flannel to make this skirt out of and I hope it will look as nice as yours!

Cheers,