A Post-Surgical Intermission

Sorry for the lack of blog posts for Friday and today, Monday.

I had my last 2 wisdom teeth removed on Thursday morning, and have been under the weather ever since.  Felix loves to document just about everything and has taken probably the worst photo of me to date.  This was taken while I was in the recovery room from the surgery.  I’m all puffy and pink.  :|  I don’t think I could be looking more unattractive.  heh

It’s been about 4 days later and I’m only just starting to eat solid food again.  Ice cream, Greek yogurt, and protein shakes have been my best friends in this ordeal (besides my caretaker husband, of course.)

I don’t want to re-account everything that Felix already documented, but I do highly suggest that anyone who hasn’t had their wisdom teeth removed should get them out, all four at once.  I got my lower 2 removed when I was 18 or 19, and the uppers weren’t coming in at all; nor could the doctor guarantee that they would ever come in.  So I decided to not worry about it and just get the lowers removed.  Nearly 10 years later, I’m regretting that decision.  It would have been so much easier to have dealt with the pain at once, instead of twice.

As you can imagine, I didn’t get much of anything done over the weekend due to my continuing, long recovery.  But I hope to get back on schedule asap (as well as eating solid foods again.)

In: Miscellaneous

1. Mruna July 11, 2011 — 8:14 AM

Get well soon…mine are half out but my dentist suggested to leave them alone if they were’nt hurting.

1. Liz July 11, 2011 — 7:40 PM

You lucky duck, you! My teeth are already pretty cramped and I had no room for more teeth.

2. G July 11, 2011 — 8:18 AM

I feel your pain. I had the right ones (so i could eat left) removed in January 2010 and it took almost a year to recover because some nerve wasn’t happy about it. I hope you get well soon and without any complication!

1. Liz July 11, 2011 — 7:39 PM

That sounds actually like a good idea, having one side done at a time so you can eat. Sorry to hear you had some bad nerve damage. How did you end up finding out you had nerve damage? Does it just throb all the time?

3. Amanda July 11, 2011 — 8:28 AM

I got all 4 taken out when I was in high school and I thought that was rough! But I guess doing it twice wouldn’t be fun either. I remember the first day I was so numb I drank some water and it all came falling out because I couldn’t feel a thing! Yeah, graceful. Hope you make a quick recovery!

4. PepperReed July 11, 2011 — 8:28 AM

Yikes!! I had all my wisdom teeth out in my early 20’s, thankfully long enough ago. I hope you’re on the mend soon!!

5. Clare S July 11, 2011 — 8:46 AM

Oh no, you poor thing! Hope you get better soon! Poor gums :(

6. weriem July 11, 2011 — 10:44 AM

Poor Liz! I hope you’ll be soon in a better shape!

7. Sunni July 11, 2011 — 10:59 AM

Oh Liz! I do so hope that you are better soon! Twice – that’s for the birds! You poor dear! All my best!

8. Lauren July 11, 2011 — 11:25 AM

oh, you poor thing! i had my wisdom teeth taken out about 6 months ago & it was absolutely horrible – i had a bad reaction to the pain meds they gave me (percocet) & i ended up spending the first recovery day throwing up & i was so afraid to throw up again that i stopped eating *and* taking pain pills. LOL. it was a bad week! i hope you feel better soon & have a speedy recovery! xoxo

1. Liz July 11, 2011 — 7:37 PM

What a trooper you are! Good thing you got it all done at once though, right?! :)
      I had a really adverse reaction to my pain medication too on the first day. I apparently didn’t have enough food in my system and I nearly passed out, went ashen-grey, and started shaking. But if I have enough food all I end up doing on pain medication is passing out till it wears off.

9. Lou July 11, 2011 — 1:30 PM

Feel better Liz! I have to get my wisdom teeth out eventually and I’ve been putting it off… for… oh about 5 years now :-/

10. Tasha July 11, 2011 — 1:37 PM

Hope you’re feeling better soon! I have only had one out so far. The recovery would have been far better had I not discovered Vicodin makes me feel worse and more sick than the recovery itself. Ugh. :P

1. Liz July 11, 2011 — 7:34 PM

Oh no! That sounds dreadful. Here’s hoping you don’t have to take any of the other three out.

11. Liz July 11, 2011 — 7:32 PM

You guys are all such dears! Thanks so much for all of your well-wishes and for sharing your personal stories. It helps to hear that most of you have been in the same boat too.

I ended up having to call into work again today, due to the pain. I have a pretty high tolerance for it, but since it was going on day 5 now, I suspected that something was amiss. Sure enough, when I got to the doctor’s office in the afternoon, they said that I had dry socket. They fixed me up and sent me on my way again, so I hope I’m out of the woods now.

Thanks again guys for sending me your happy thoughts!

12. Sarah July 12, 2011 — 9:04 AM

Oh, yipes! You poor thing! Sending you get well wishes! I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once and it was brutal. Ugh.

13. Karen July 12, 2011 — 9:27 AM

I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 19, I remember being worried as they put me under because the doctor was really cute and I was afraid in my loopy state that I was going to say something about how good looking he was to him :). Hope you feel better soon.