Sweet Baxter, Rest in Peace

This is probably the hardest posts I’m having to write…

My lovely, sweet bunny Baxter has passed away early Thursday morning.

Baxter was my first (single gal) pet and she’s been with me for the past 9 and a half years.  She’s become such a wonderful part of my life and it was a joy watching her hop around the apartment, with Quincy following right after.

(Baxter in her fat stage…)

Before we got Quincy 3 (or 4 years ago) it was just Baxter and me.  When it was just her and I, we formed a great bond and to her last she still sought me out and relied on me for attention, which I was always too happy to give of course.

Baxter did have some heart issues, and was diagnosed a few months ago with heart disease.  It wasn’t to the point where she needed medication for it yet and was instead put on a mega-oil supplement which was helping.  Somehow she just took a turn for the worse and Felix and I rushed her into the emergency vet last night.

We got the prognosis that she had fluid in her lungs which they were going to treat and she was placed into an oxygen chamber to help with her breathing.  The doctor had every thought that we could pick her up the following day with a new medication plan.  But instead I got the call at 5am that Baxter had taken a sudden turn for the worse and that her heart just stopped.

It was so sudden and while I knew Baxter wasn’t in the best of health, I still wasn’t prepared for this.

It’s so hard to lose her and I have to admit I’m not doing very well.  The only times I haven’t been crying is when I’m watching a movie (as to not think about it) or when Felix is beside me trying to pep me up.  I know the worst is over, but I can’t help wishing that Baxter was just back home and this was all a horrible dream.

I’m off to watch another movie… Please give all of your fur-buddies and extra little pet from me.

Baxter Related Posts on Zilredloh.

Baxter Related Posts on Avoision (Felix’s Site).  Felix’s site has videos of the buns in action!

In: Bunny Miscellaneous

1. Jane June 28, 2013 — 7:39 AM

Aw, I’m so sorry – I’ve definitely been there. I’m glad to hear she wasn’t in pain for a long time!

2. Salma June 28, 2013 — 7:59 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss, I hope you find comfort in your memories at this time.

3. so sorry to hear that liz. it’s so sad when a pet dies when they;ve been part of your life for so long. x

4. Ginger June 28, 2013 — 8:25 AM

I’m so, so sorry. (((HUGS)))

5. Oh no! I’m SO SORRY.

It’s the absolute worst when you lose a pet, and although it’s a blessing that she didn’t suffer too long, it sounds like it’s been a terrible shock!

Make sure to take it easy on yourself for a little while!

I hope you feel a little better soon!

6. Lindsay June 28, 2013 — 8:47 AM

I am so sorry about Baxter. She was such a cute little bun! I was destroyed when my cat died suddenly a few years ago. I’m sending you hugs!

7. Jenny June 28, 2013 — 8:55 AM

I’m so sorry about Baxter. Sending lots of hugs your way

8. So sorry for your loss, Liz — I’ve enjoyed your posts about Baxter a lot. I lost my fifteen year old cat (who also predated my husband) last November. It’s such a tough deal that we only get a handful of years with the animals in our life, because they are special in a way that another person can’t be.

Glad it was quick and that it sounds like she didn’t suffer, but so sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like she was very well loved and well cared for.

9. Tasha June 28, 2013 — 8:59 AM

Oh Liz, I am so, so sorry to hear about Baxter! I know it must be extra hard since it was so fast. Big hugs to you from both of us!! {{hugs}}

10. Jenni June 28, 2013 — 9:46 AM

So sorry for the loss of such am important member of your family, as pets are our chosen family. sending a big hug x

11. Emma June 28, 2013 — 9:50 AM

Poor bunny! I know all too well how you feel.

12. Meagan June 28, 2013 — 10:16 AM

I’m so sorry. My condolences. It’s so hard to lose a pet. They truly are family. The pictures you’ve included are so adorable, I’m glad you have captured so many good memories. All the hugs to you guys.

13. Litchi June 28, 2013 — 10:29 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss! Just thinking about losing my sweet bunny Harvey leaves me close to tears and I know it would devastate me. I will cuddle him extra long tonight…
    I hope you will get better soon and that Quincy is not too lonely without his buddy.
    Sending you lots of hugs.

14. Ginger June 28, 2013 — 10:40 AM

Oh, no, I’m so, so sorry. :'( Thinking of you guys. :(

15. Sending you big hugs. Losing a fur baby is so hard. oxox

16. Angela Wicentowich June 28, 2013 — 1:15 PM

Oh Liz! I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your fur baby. My heart goes out to you and Felix (and poor Quincy). May you find comfort in those around you and with the memories of sweet Baxter.

17. joelle June 28, 2013 — 1:23 PM

i’m so sorry. sending warm thoughts your way…

18. Phoebe June 28, 2013 — 1:38 PM

I am so so sorry to hear about your dear sweet bunny. Losing a pet is HARD.

19. Oh, you poor thing! :( -hug-

20. Gail June 28, 2013 — 2:17 PM

I’m so sorry to hear this, Liz. I know how sad and painful it is to lose a beloved pet. I hope you’re able to feel better soon.

21. Heather June 28, 2013 — 2:55 PM

I’m so sorry Liz! I gave our Siberian Husky Oreo a pat from you, and she sends you a growly “oroooo” in response (friendly growlies).

22. K-Line June 28, 2013 — 3:07 PM

Oh, I’m so sorry about this. I know how much you love your lovely bunnies. I’m thinking of you. xo

23. MarrieB June 28, 2013 — 3:08 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss. We lost a pet earlier this year, my heart goes out to you.

24. paisleyapron June 28, 2013 — 3:48 PM

How sad to lose him so suddenly. Wishing you comfort and peace as you grieve.

25. Lotti June 28, 2013 — 3:55 PM

I am so sorry for you! I totally understand what it means to have a pet as a dear and comforting friend!

26. Oh my, I’m so sorry. I lost a fourteen-year-old cat friend earlier this year and have another equally old man walking around here, and a lot of people don’t really understand just how much these little guys become part of your life. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to work without the sound of my snoring cat behind me. All the strength to you!

27. Tina C. June 28, 2013 — 5:07 PM

Oh darling! I’m so very sorry for your loss. Our fur babies are in our lives for all to short a time. Hugs to you, Liz. I hope that your heart is quick to heal and your memories of Baxter long and beautiful.

28. Elizabeth June 28, 2013 — 6:16 PM

Oh Liz, I am so very very sorry. My heart goes out to you and Felix and Quincy. I am tearing up a little myself and will cuddle my bun extra hard tonight. I hope you can give yourself the time and space to grieve, and eventually to be grateful to know Baxter had a really really wonderful life with you.

29. SewSavory June 28, 2013 — 7:41 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace and comfort.

30. Jen June 28, 2013 — 8:11 PM

Oh, I am so so sorry to hear about Baxter. :( Though she was a bit ill, to lose her so suddenly and without warning must have been an awful shock. I have said a prayer for your comfort, as much as you can find during such a painful time.

31. Chantel Heser June 28, 2013 — 8:12 PM

I’m sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is very difficult, they really are part of the family. Sending positive and happy thoughts your way.

32. Rachel June 28, 2013 — 8:59 PM

Oh Liz, I am so sorry. I know how much you will miss that sweet bunny. Rest in Peace, Baxter.

33. Debbie June 28, 2013 — 9:09 PM

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss :(

34. Montana June 28, 2013 — 9:20 PM

Oh dear, I’m so sorry for your loss. Pets become such a part of our families. I hope you feel a small amount of comfort from all your blogging friends. *hugs*

35. Linda HYams June 28, 2013 — 9:36 PM

So sorry for your loss. Lovely photos. I hope they give you comfort. Wish they could all live forever.

36. Darlene Raila June 29, 2013 — 12:31 AM

Isn’t it amazing just how deeply connected we can be? I think the pain we feel at this time is our heart expanding just a little bit more — so they can find their permanent spot — always in our heart. Baxter deserves to be missed and how lucky she was to be so loved by you.You are in my thoughts…XO XO

37. cathy June 29, 2013 — 8:01 AM

:( im sorry!

38. Oh, Liz. I’m so very sorry. Sending good thoughts to you, Felix, and Quincy.

39. Megan June 29, 2013 — 9:52 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss. Having lost my elderly cat last year, I know what you are going through.

40. Kelly June 29, 2013 — 11:14 AM

Oh, Liz, I’m so sorry. Pets are so amazing and become such important members of the family. I’m glad that you and Baxter found each other.

41. Molly June 29, 2013 — 12:00 PM

Oh Liz, I’m sorry. We have a bun that we got at Red Door Animal Shelter 5 years ago, and I know how happy Gus has made me. While I suspect that watching all the movies in the world isn’t going to make you miss the little man any less, I’m glad you have the opportunity to take a quiet weekend to reflect. Best wishes, and bun-mojo your way.

42. Sarah C. June 29, 2013 — 12:02 PM

Liz, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I know that there is nothing to say to take the pain away (how I wish there were, though!), just know that there is a lot of love coming your way from so many of us. And please do let us know if we can support a favorite bunny rescue or sanctuary or other group in Baxter’s name. XOXOX.

43. LLBB June 29, 2013 — 3:10 PM

Liz, I’m so sorry. I know he means so much to you!

44. Animals are an incredible comfort and delight to be around–I know how much joy my dog and cat bring to my life, and Baxter sounds like a truly wonderful companion too. I’m so sorry to hear you lost a dear friend Liz. May Baxter rest in peace, and I hope you all are comforted. I don’t doubt Quincy is grieving too :(

45. Raqskie and Mr B June 29, 2013 — 11:59 PM

I’m very sorry to hear about Lovely Baxter. I enjoyed watching the videos of her having fun. In your sadness you can feel proud of giving so much love to a beautiful bun.

46. Clare S June 30, 2013 — 7:03 PM

Oh no, honey, I’m so sorry to hear this. Some people don’t understand that our animal family members are part of our lives, just like human family. It looks like a lot of your readers understand this – it looks like there are lots of us thinking of you and Felix and Quincy and sending web-based hugs. x

47. Deb Koobakii June 30, 2013 — 10:52 PM

So so sorry to hear about your dear little Baxter. We lost our Milo Harlequin bun buns 6 months ago now suddenly without warning during the night, we were devastated. I love my fur babies to bits but struggle each time we lose one, but treasure the memories with all my heart. My thoughts are with you.

48. Anthea July 1, 2013 — 5:20 AM

:( I’m so sorry to hear that :(

49. I’m so sorry for your loss. Only those who either had or have pets know how important they can be to us and that they become family members from the first second. Think of all those nice moments she gave you.

50. Oh no! I’m so sorry for your loss. :-( .

It’s so hard to lose a pet. But she was loved so much and had a nice home, she had the best of all lives a little bunny could wish for.

*hugs*

Ingrid

51. I’m so sad to hear that. Baxter reminded me of my rabbit Oreo that i had in middle school. She looked like she could’ve been Baxter’s cousin – with a similar black and white coat with black floppy ears. She was such a sweetie and would let me carry her around like a baby. It’s been a long time since i lost her, but thinking about her now makes me smile. I have so many fond memories of her. i’m sure you will think back on Baxter with a smile as well. Let yourself cry it out now and then give Quincy extra hugs.

52. Lisa July 1, 2013 — 12:34 PM

Sorry to hear about Baxter.

53. Deborah July 1, 2013 — 5:16 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, words can’t express the sympathy I feel for you. She was loved…as I type this my two little Maltese (Lilly and her baby Bentley) are on my lap. I gave them a big hug in Baxters honor….

54. Maggie July 2, 2013 — 10:21 AM

I am so, so sorry for you. Sending good thoughts to you and your family :)

55. Janice July 2, 2013 — 10:50 AM

Oh no! I’m so sorry for your loss. :( I hope you’re OK.

56. Sandra July 2, 2013 — 11:44 AM

Am so very sorry!!

57. Wanett July 3, 2013 — 1:23 PM

Sorry about your bunny! I know it must be hard to lose a beloved pet! I hope you’ll start feeling better after a while.

58. Bridget July 5, 2013 — 1:49 PM

Oh no. I’m just seeing this now. I’m so sorry for your loss. I think Baxter was a very lucky bunny to have such a loving human and she left this earth knowing just how much you loved her. Keep thinking of the happy times you shared together and hopefully the joy of her life and the love you shared will make your grief a little more bearable.

59. I came across your blog while searching for vintage-inspired looks and, instead, found this very sad news. We are not acquainted but please let me offer my sincere condolences on the departure of your sweet buddy.