Continued WIP: The Picnic Dress

Thanks so much for all of your great comments last week!

Many of you ultimately came to the same conclusion as I did: That as long as I’m giving credit, it’s all good. But I was surprised that many of you felt that it was no big deal using the same fabric since it was a different pattern and all of my handiwork going into it.

I really appreciate all of you who chimed in. Makes me feel much better knowing I’m not alone.

I’m sooo close to finishing this dress, it’s pretty crazy. It really pays to be motivated on what you’re working on as it really speeds up the whole process of creating.

I would actually be done now, but there’s some small fit issues I have to address which means unpicking some seams and restitching things.

I have such a narrow shoulder area that I’ve had to remove upwards of 5 inches and it’s still gaping at the bust. Craziness!

So once I gather my bodice/bust tighter and restitch, I just have the dreaded hem to complete and it’s wearable.

One change I made from before was my back panel piece; the back center seam/zipper opening wasn’t matching and was really starting to bug me. So I went and re-cut a new piece and stitched it together before applying the zipper. It looks sooo much better, don’t you think?!

Much better than this, no?!

Well…. sadly that’s all I have to share for today.  I’ve been stitching up a storm but the weather has been so crappy in Chicago that I have yet to go out and take photos of anything.  I have a whole slew of garments that have been completed, so please think happy weather thoughts for me this weekend.



In: Sewing

Blogger for 6 years and counting, I am a passionate creator who loves to tinker.

Comments (7)

  1. It’s looking lovely! I’m glad that you recut the back pieces. It looks so much better! I changed my back piece to be cut on the fold so it’d look nice. Hope you get some nice weather so you can wear it soon!

  2. Re-cutting the back piece really did make a huge difference! Can’t wait to see the finished dress!

  3. Amanda May 31, 2013 — 10:13 PM

    Ohh. This is looking fantastic!

  4. Gail June 1, 2013 — 10:12 AM

    Wow, PERFECT matching on that back! Can’t wait to see this on you!

  5. Kelly June 1, 2013 — 1:05 PM

    The matching in the back is perfect! Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

  6. Maggie June 1, 2013 — 1:54 PM

    Just catching up with this dress and the recent debate from the last post. I am so glad you posted that as I think as it is a debate I have in my head all the time!! Can’t wait to see the finished dress!

  7. Caitlin June 1, 2013 — 9:32 PM

    Cannot wait to see the whole thing! My husbie got me the Bernie Dexter dress with this print for my birthday, but now I reckon I should buy the fabric to have a cute little shirt or apron.

Leave a Comment