Completed: Accessory for Your Spring Suit

The weather cleared up in Chicago (finally!) for me to go out and take some photos.  It’s still quite cold, which was a plus since I was taking photos of my long-sleeved Spring Suit Jumper.  Otherwise, I can’t wait for it to get warmer so I can go out in the rest of my recently completed items.

I believe I started this Jumper back in August (2012) and I stopped and started a few times since then.

I used Berocco Ultra Alpaca Light which is a sport weight yarn comprised of 50% alpaca and 50% wool.  While this jumper may look very light, it’s quite heavy with the alpaca content.

Since the pattern originates in 1936, I paired it with my drop-waisted skirt, lace-up shoes and a curly top.  I’m not certain I have an authentic 30’s look; it ended up more of a modern 30’s throwback instead.

I reworked the original pattern a decent amount.  The stitch counts and shaping are roughly the same, with the exception of shortening the armscye and narrowing the shoulders.  But the changes that I did are mainly cosmetic.

This knit was supposed to be purl stitches throughout the body of the jumper, whereas I made them all knit stitches.  I also added one of the stitch patterns from the bodice onto the sleeves.

And I also modified the collar/bow.

I made the collar wider but I also shortened the length of the bow.  Instead of creating a bow, like you would doing your shoe-laces, I instead knit a small circular loop and fed the tie trough the loop.  So it looks like it has a knot, but it really isn’t.

The reason I did this was that the bow tie was going to be way too thick and bulky (due to my yarn choice) for my top and it would going to end up covering the entire bodice, which I didn’t want.

Even after reducing the width of the shoulders, I found that they still drop lower than my actual shoulders do.  It wasn’t enough to bother me so I just left them as is.

While I wouldn’t recommend using this yarn for your own Accessory for Your Spring Suit Jumper, I’m happy I used it up.  You see, I’ve had this yarn longer than I care to admit (easily over 4 years).  Back before I knew how to knit when I was only crocheting, I had used it to crochet up a sweater which was an epic fail.  So it was sitting forever in my closet as half of a crocheted jumper and it really needed to be frogged.  This jumper seemed like it would be a good match for the yarn and I frogged my crocheted top and started knitting this up.

The yarn isn’t terrible paired with this jumper, but this is the first time I’ve worked with alpaca.  And it just ended up a bit heavier than I thought it would.  It’s not bad since it will be a god-send in the middle of the Chicago winter, but it just made the neckline and bow a bit tricky to execute.

I had a lot of fun doing my hair for these photos.

I was telling Felix, I feel like I have a feau-hawk of curls.

I only curled the top half of my hair earlier in the am and left the whole bottom section flat.  To do my hair, I did a french twist on the flat bottom half and lightly unpicked the curls and pinned them to the top of my head in a pleasing way.

My hair is just shy of being shoulder length, so the french twist took me two tries but I was able to pull it up just fine.

I could have pinned some of the curls a bit higher onto my crown, but I still think it was a pretty fun do.  I felt like there was a party on my head the rest of the night since I left my hair like this for the remainder of the evening on Saturday.

Come Sunday morning, my curls were pretty much intact since I didn’t brush them.  I was able to execute my FIRST successful pin curl for Sunday brunch!

I made two pin curls at the front and pulled the rest back into a high (mini) pony tail.

Woot for pin curls!!!  Seriously, I’ve tried several times to do these and they were always an epic fail.  I think the key to them is having your hair curled before hand vs. doing them with straight hair like I’ve tried in the past.

Hope you all had a pleasant weekend and that the weather is more spring-like, wherever you are.

In: Knitting

1. Meli April 15, 2013 — 8:20 AM

Wow, your hair is soo cool!! Oh, and the sweater turned out great too!

2. What a lovely jumper! And it must be really warm too. Your hair looks lovely :)

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:35 AM

Oh yes! It’s very snugly warm even with the lace stitch details in there (with the holes).

3. Andrea April 15, 2013 — 8:24 AM

I’ve been eyeing that pattern for a while now. I really like the changes you made to your. The whole outfit looks darling! Alpaca is quite the conundrum, eh! I have several skeins of 100% alpaca that I bought at the Md Sheep and Wool Festival over 5 years ago. I’ve swatched it several times and it doesn’t seem to be good for anything I’ve tried it for.

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:37 AM

I went to an alpaca festival and bought several large skeins of yarn (around sport weight) and I’d heard horror stories of knitted pieces stretching out terribly due to the weight of the alpaca fibers. I’d been planning on making some lace-ish shawls out of it since it wouldn’t really matter quite as much if they stretched out.

It’s too bad alpaca is tricky, it’s such a wonderful soft fiber.

4. paisley apron April 15, 2013 — 9:00 AM

Gorgeous. Congrats on the finished sweater. Off to get out my copy of A Stitch in Time to drool over the patterns again.

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:38 AM

Oh yes! It’s a great book. Even with all of my vintage knitting magazines, I still love to flip through those books.

Since I’m close to finishing my sun-ray ribbed jumper too, I’ve been debating what to make next…

5. K-Line April 15, 2013 — 10:02 AM

That jumper is just beautiful! I struggle with the drape of alpaca also. That’s why, even though I like it a lot, I’m not working with it anymore.

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:39 AM

Poor alpaca, it’s such a soft fiber. I was thinking with my 50/50 blend, it wouldn’t be too bad. And in truth it’s not, but it’s just a bit weighty for me is all after knitting with wool and wool/acrylic blends in fingering weight.

6. maureen murray April 15, 2013 — 10:28 AM

thankyou for your generous sharing of such lovely patterns

7. Lieke April 15, 2013 — 10:54 AM

Wow, it looks amazing! Well done!

8. Emma April 15, 2013 — 10:59 AM

That jumper is gorgeous! It looks so comfortable, while still looking very stylish.

9. Kelly April 15, 2013 — 11:45 AM

Beautiful sweater! It does look light and airy, but it sounds great for freezing days. You can already start looking forward to winter so that you can wear it more! Your hair looks really fantastic too. I will have to try your pin curl after curling technique – all my pin curl attempts have been huge failures as yet.

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:40 AM

Yes, do try pin curls again! It was remarkably easy to do once my hair was already curled and the ends were behaving very well and even wanting to curl under, just like they’re supposed to. :)

10. Manju April 15, 2013 — 12:16 PM

Wow that sweater is beautiful. Congrats!

11. Gail April 15, 2013 — 12:23 PM

I’m so impressed with your hairstyling! Very nice work on the sweater too! I think you made the right choice in shortening the bow – anything bigger would overwhelm you.

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:41 AM

Thanks so much Gail! I actually knit the whole neck tie, as the pattern stated and even blocked it. When I was pinning it on to stitch it, is when I noticed it was way too big and hard to tie. So I had to frog it and start anew. That’s what took me so long to finish this up; I had to devise how to adjust the neckline/tie for me.

12. Great work with the jumper! The neckline bow mods are fantastic!

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:42 AM

Thanks Michelle!

13. Rachel April 15, 2013 — 1:04 PM

Liz- it looks lovely! Your modifications are lovely too- and look great on you!

14. I love your finished jumper! I started that pattern last year and then lost interest. I really need to finish it! Yours looks lovely!

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:43 AM

Thanks Stephanie! You should finish it, but with spring so near, it’s hard to get excited to knit a jumper you probably won’t be able to wear for quite some time. heh

15. You look fabulous in these shoots! Your hair is stunning as is the jumper!

16. Karin April 15, 2013 — 3:08 PM

I love your sweater! I was thinking that I wanted to try it myself until I read about all your tweaks and changes which would be beyond my present skill set. I definitely admire it though!

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:43 AM

Awww. Well, I’m so short and have a very petite upper body, which is why I have to make so many mods. If you stuck with the pattern I’m sure you’d be alright. :)

17. Kate-Em April 15, 2013 — 4:58 PM

Lovely jumper, looks so pretty. I like your hairstyles, the pin curls are great.

18. You look so glam! I love the curls, and your jumper is fantastic. I really like the way you changed out the bow. I know it was for necessity, but I actually prefer your smaller fauxbow! The original pattern bow is just a little overwhelming for a knit (or for my neck, at least!)

19. Sarah April 15, 2013 — 6:26 PM

LOVE the jumper!!! LOVE your hair! LOVE the whole look!!

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:44 AM

Thanks so much Sarah!

20. Jo April 16, 2013 — 2:55 AM

I wish I could make my hair look as cool as yours, heh :) This is really pretty! I’m glad you found a use for your old yarn :)

1. Liz April 16, 2013 — 10:45 AM

Thanks so much Jo, but I’m sure you could do your hair if I can. I feel like such a newbie when it comes to hair styling and curling.

21. What a beautiful jumper. And your hairstyle is gorgeous.

22. Bex April 16, 2013 — 8:26 PM

Amazing hair – amazing jumper!

23. Looks lovely and perfect pairing with that skirt too.

24. Ginger April 17, 2013 — 9:54 AM

Wow, this is amazing! I love it! What a beautiful sweater!

25. Wanett April 17, 2013 — 4:34 PM

This is so gorgeous!! I love how it turned out and you’ve put together super cute outfit, AGAIN!! And your hair looks wonderful with the curls!!

26. Liz April 18, 2013 — 12:58 AM

Your knitting is always wonderful and this is no exception. I love this jumper, but yours is better than in the book. I like the fit better. You have certainly put me off knitting with Alpaca – although our climate is too hot for it anyway. Look forward to seeing your Sunray

27. Sarah April 18, 2013 — 9:24 PM

I just love it! The colors, the front pleats on the dropped waist, the adorable bow done in such an interesting and unique way, oh and your hair and make up! Oooh, I would add this to my look book if I had one. So perfect.

28. Kerry April 19, 2013 — 10:28 AM

What a sweet sweater! I love the tie neck and cable patterns

29. Bridget April 28, 2013 — 7:53 PM

Very well done, and to incorporate the cables into the sleeves was an excellent idea! I’m loving the shoes as well.