Starring Stripes Jumper Pattern

I’m so excited to start sharing my recent finds (aka wins from ebay) with you all.  The first pattern is from the November 1936 edition of Stitchcraft magazine.  These earlier Stitchcrafts were more like magazines and not just filled with patterns.  They have style advice from their correspondent in Paris, an article or two, and even recipes.  These earlier ones really are gems.  I’ll see if I can’t scan them more thoroughly for you soon.

Today’s pattern freebie is the feature from the cover, the Starring Stripes Jumper pattern.

Click on the following link to download the pattern as a pdf: Starring Stripes Jumper Pattern.

Click here to add this pattern to your Ravelry Queue or Favorites.

This a technical aside, but I tried to scale down the file size on these pdfs.  I know some of them are a bit large, so if you’re downloading this, please leave me a comment as to how the process was for you.

This pattern is designed for a 33-35″ bust and it’s knit using a 3-ply fingering weight yarn.  What’s perplexing is that the gauge states that it’s knit with a gauge of 6 stitches to an inch in width and 9 rows to an inch in depth using a US size 5 (or 3.75mm)

For me, knitting with US size 2 (or 3.0 mm) needle gives me a gauge of 8 sts per inch and 10 rows an inch.  So to use the same fingering weight yarn to get 6 sts per inch with the larger needle size sounds like you’d end up with a really holey sweater.

What I’m thinking is that the yarn is supposed to be thicker than a comparable yarn that I found online; it should be more like a sport-weight yarn.  This makes more sense given the needle and gauge.

What’s really wonderful about this jumper is that it’s knit sideways. (See the gauge swatch in the image above.)  From that I mean, you start at one side seam, knit to the front and end up at the other side seam.  This makes doing these colorful stripes really easy for any newbie wanting to delve into color (like myself).

Another plus to this jumper is that there are bonus instructions given for making this jumper into long sleeves.  I personally love the short-sleeved look, but with winter coming up I know that’s not very practical thinking.

Aside from the strange gauge issues, I’m really loving this jumper.  I can’t wait to share with you guys more patterns from this issue (bobbled ski sweater) along with the other 1941 stitchcrafts I recently got as well.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!  Be sure to step outdoors away from all of your sewing and knitting for a while to enjoy the crisp fall air.

In: Free Patterns Knitting

1. K-Line October 19, 2012 — 7:51 AM

I think you’re right about the yarn required to meet gauge. I’ve read that yarn, in the day, was diff than it is now. I’d just go down to the size 2. This sweater is just fantastic. Where do you find all of these Stitchcraft mags on eBay? I would love to see one, though I can understand if you don’t want to give away your source :-)

1. Liz October 19, 2012 — 6:37 PM

Oh no! Don’t worry about it. I search on Ebay a lot of the times for Stitchcraft magazines. I use the terms “stitchcraft” and I always look at international sellers, not just US based ones. This was a much more popular mag. overseas than here.

1. K-Line October 19, 2012 — 7:04 PM

Thanks Liz. I’ll check Etsy too!

2. Wow, I really like this pattern too. You sure have a lot of great knitting magazines in your stash, it’s going to make it very difficult for me to decide on my next knitting project.

The note about guage is interesting. You are probably right that uses more of a sport weight yarn.

3. gail October 19, 2012 — 8:44 AM

I love this one, especially the neckline. And it looks so great the way the stripes match up at the raglans!

4. Oooo…I love this pattern! I’m already thinking about color combinations for my version that I’ll be making in the next two years … maybe :) So much knitting to learn to do, so little time!

5. mary October 19, 2012 — 10:44 AM

Interesting about the gauge issue because I just started a 30s hat pattern yesterday where I had that exact problem (and switching from fingering to sport weight did indeed work)
    This might have to be my next 30s project though, I’m not such a fan of the colour combination on the original, but I’m thinking of some other ideas.

1. Liz October 19, 2012 — 6:33 PM

Hey Mary,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with your hat. It always helps to get other knitter’s opinions on these vintage patterns.

I like the green and the brown colors in the original, but I was not so sure about the yellow and red/pink with it. Seems like there are some better options out there for this while still being true to the vintage styling.

6. chris October 19, 2012 — 1:33 PM

Thanks for sharing the pattern, love the style, but with 3 other knitting w.i.p’s , I think I’d better not add it to my list! I’ve also fallen for the skirt the model is wearing -looks like a version could be made up in a double-knit fabric easily enough, so I might add that to my to-do list instead!

1. Liz October 19, 2012 — 6:31 PM

Hey Chris! I was thinking the same thing last night when I was scanning the pattern. The skirt is really cute! :)

7. SewSavory October 19, 2012 — 8:42 PM

I do like the pattern, the skirt and that embroidered Fall border, too. I’ve downloaded the pattern into my brand spankin’ new Knitting Patterns folder! It didn’t take but a moment to download. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement, Liz. You are a gem.

8. Ginger October 20, 2012 — 9:24 PM

How cute! I love this sweater!

9. Elsa October 21, 2012 — 4:58 AM

The yarn was definitely thicker then. When knitting vintage patterns I’ve found that the main thing when choosing yarns is to primarily try to match the modern yarn to the gauge.
    However, for earlier patterns – the very early 30s – a lot of the summer sweaters were meant to be airy (and, unfortunately for us today when we don’t wear slips and cover-up underwear, see-through). Since the yarn used was almost always 100% wool, this was the only way to make a cooler “resort” or “cruise” sweater.
    The 30s Stichcrafts really are wonderful, priceless gems, both the patterns and the magazine in itself!

10. Bridget December 20, 2012 — 1:09 PM

I LOVE this pattern, thanks so much for sharing it! I’ve got two projects on the go at the moment – the Datemaker and a 1940’s ‘jolly jerkin’ – and this will be my next project.

Downloading the pdf was no problem for me, and when I printed it I just ticked the ‘Shrink Oversized Pages’ option.

11. Stitchcraft May 28, 2017 — 8:16 PM

Take a look at the stitch inset on p16. Resize to give you visually 6 stitches to an inch. It certainly has the visual apearance of a 3 or 4 ply at most (fingering). On the suggested needles that wuld give you a drapy fabric suitable for a blousey look or drape. Not that you couldn’t use thicker yarns, but it would be a different effect than the original. You can see the some 4 ply examples worked up in Ravelry – they look fine. Also this pattern was reissued in the 80s, slightly reworked using a 4 ply with 3mm needles and size to give a denser fabric in Patons #186, All Time Greats book.