Sewing Buddies

I’ve been sewing up muslins for the Quaker Oats dress with the polka-dot fabric, and it’s been going pretty rough.  I’ve made 2 different muslins and the sewing along with fitting the dress has been very challenging.  I really had no idea it was going to be so hard!  There are 3 90 degree angles I have to sew for each arm-intersection which means I have to sew 12 of these intersections in the bodice.  *Yikes*  And once I clip the corners in order to stitch them together, it makes altering quite impossible since I had to snip close to the stitching.  Mega *Yarrrr*!!  I’ve been making my way through it slowly, then I ran out of muslin.  heh

I’m still plugging away but I have a feeling the bodice may not be as perfect as I want it to be.  But I’m trying…  I’ll post up pictures soon when I get a workable skirt muslin and then once that’s joined to the bodice for all of your thoughts.

On a happier note, I think I may officially have a sewing buddy!

Everyone this is Leslie.  She came over last Sunday and again on Thursday night.  She’s very much a newbie sewer and she’s working on a pillow, her third project, ever!

I kept forgetting to take pictures, but Felix grabbed these for me when I wasn’t paying attention.

I put 2 leaves in my dining room table to make some more room for Leslie and her machine.  I’ve actually kept the leaves in and I get even more excited every time I sit down and use all of the extra table space I didn’t know I needed.  heh

She’s actually storing her machine over at my place temporarily since she doesn’t have a large table space to work on.  Lucky for me, she let me try out her vintage singer with my automatic buttonholer in her absence, since it doesn’t fit on my machine.  I was excited until I found out that my buttonholer doesn’t like me and won’t produce nice-looking buttonholes.  But more of that for another day…

It was a bit hard to concentrate at times, but overall it was really fun to chat while sewing and to be able to help her out when her machine started getting hungry and eating her thread and zipper.  I’m hoping these sewing nights become a regular thing; the more the merrier I think.  :)

1. Aww how lovely. my only sewing partner is my sister but since we use the same machine, we dont often chat when doing stuff as the other one would always have to be doing something different.

But it is nice to make a change from time to time.

2. erin March 26, 2012 — 10:11 AM

It’s so nice to have a sewing buddy! Lovely and huge dining table :)

3. The Quaker Oats dress sounds challenging but I’m sure you’ll pull through :-)

By the way, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Participation is optional. Details on my blog :-) The Musings of a Dedicated Housefiancee

1. Liz April 30, 2012 — 10:27 AM

Yay! Thanks Jenny. :)

4. Jo March 26, 2012 — 3:15 PM

Oh you’re so lucky! I need to get me some friends who sew :) I would love to be able to do this type of thing! Jealous of you, haha! :)

5. I LOVE sewing with someone else, it’s much more fun that way. You get to help each other out and chat about all sorts of things :)

6. Meg March 26, 2012 — 4:05 PM

Yay for having a sewing buddy! That is too much fun!

1. Liz March 27, 2012 — 2:34 PM

I wish I knew enough people to have a big sewing day like you do. Honestly that’s what prompted me to ask Leslie over; I was jealous of all of your fun! :) hehe

7. Qui March 26, 2012 — 4:12 PM

aww :) Cool pic of the both of you at opposite ends of the table. Your sewing space is so awesome! I like the giant table (I might have table envy in fact ;)

1. Liz March 27, 2012 — 2:33 PM

Awww, thanks! I bought this table for $30 at an estate sale and refinished it myself.

8. Erin March 27, 2012 — 7:05 PM

Liz,

This is completely random…but I just came across your blog b/c I saw you made the Minoru jacket (my dream project). You probably barely remember me, but we were is Marching Knights together….long story short….I live in Chicago and I love (but am still learning) to sew! I saw you lamenting not having people to sew with….so if you are interested I would love to join you anytime! Send me an email.

Erin Mullarkey

9. Ginger March 27, 2012 — 7:46 PM

Oh wow, this looks so fun! I need a sewing buddy!

10. […] terribly, terribly jealous that Liz has a sewing buddy. How can we be friends is she’s already got a sewing buddy? Do you have a sewing buddy? […]

11. Sheri March 31, 2012 — 12:04 PM

How wonderful to find a sewing buddy! Over the last couple of years my “sewing buddy” has grown into a sewing group! That is after years of sewing alone. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to have these other women to share this with! I am so enjoying this small group of friends/sewing buddies.

1. Liz April 2, 2012 — 9:39 AM

Wow! You have a whole group?! How cool it would be to have a group together. How do you all fit at one table? Or do you have multiple work stations?

12. Eileen April 4, 2012 — 1:25 PM

Oh how I wish I had a sewing buddy. It would be fun. My sister sews, but she is 1000 miles away. I do have computer “buddies” though and that’s nice.