Mail Order 4645 in Silk Shantung

Early September, I had the good fortune to travel to Washington DC to attend a wedding for Felix’s cousin.  I really enjoy attending weddings much more, now that I’m married.  In not sure what changed between single me & married me – perhaps it’s because I’m older??   No matter what the reason, what I cherish about weddings is the love that emanates from the couple as well as everyone in attendance; it feels like a warm blanket of wonderfulness.

The second best thing of attending a wedding is being able to sew up my own fancy frock. lol

Being an outdoor, garden style wedding I had originally planned on using a lovely, floral linen fabric & Butterick 6935 pattern I’ve been meaning to sew up for just the right occasion.

The bodice was alright – but the skirt in my light weight linen ended up looking frumpy, instead of garden chic.  Then I found out everyone was going to be wearing ‘cocktail dresses’ instead of a casual garden style dress – so I ended up changing my plans a week before the wedding.  Eeeek!

As a replacement, I pulled out Mail Order 4645 (Teen Sizing).  This is yet another pattern & fabric from my stash that I’ve had for at least 3 years and counting.

It’s hard to see in the image above (just look below) but that’s a navy blue silk shantung – very crisp and lightweight – perfect for summer.

Since I was pressed for time, on muslin #1, I went and made my normal bodice changes – shortening the armscye height, and shortening the bodice length, and widening the waistline.  After stitching up the bodice, I found that I needn’t have made any change besides adding additional width for my waist.  The bodice height & armscye height was perfect as is!  Which is incredibly rare for me.  I think it’s due to the fact this pattern is sized for a ‘teen’ not a woman.

Even though I was short on time, I knew I needed to underline the bodice so I cut a duplicate of the bodice front & back in a cotton batiste.  The shantung really needed more structure in the bodice and waist.  Normally, I would have used black batiste but I didn’t have time to run to the store and pre-wash so I just used the white I had on hand.

Honestly the weave of the shantung is so tight that you can’t even tell its underlined in white.

I love the clean contrast of the facing pieces to the white batiste underlining – I hand stitched this all around.

I generally hate wearing a side-seam zipper and move them to the bodice back whenever I can (for comfort & dressing ease’ sake).  But this pattern prevented me from doing so.  I sucked it up and stitched in the side seam zip.

No matter how little time I have, I do love pick-stitching in my zippers.

The only other addition I included was hemming the skirt with a 1″ horsehair braid. Again, I only had white on hand and didn’t have time for a run to the store for a black braid.

Luckily, I had enough length in the skirt, that it allowed me to cover it up entirely so no one was the wiser.

Upon reflection, I think I could have stood to lower the upper waistband piece & lengthen the upper bodice so it could fit a bit more snug under my bust.  It’s not terrible and I’m probably the only one who notices things like this – I have a hunch it would be fine if it were in a cotton.

Since I don’t have any more to add about my dress, I’ll just put the rest of the images below for you to peruse through.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t post up an image of the happy couple and her gorgeous dress.

Last but not least:  Have I mentioned that changes are afoot on Zilredloh?!

Stay tuned next week for the full scoop.  :D  I can’t wait to share what I’ve been up to.

Cheers & happy sewing!

In: Sewing

Blogger for 6 years and counting, I am a passionate creator who loves to tinker.

Comments (9)

  1. Llynnda February 2, 2017 — 8:38 AM

    Curiosity killed the cat, so don’t make me wait too long please. Your dress is beautifully made and the colour is exquisite.

    1. Liz February 2, 2017 — 9:31 AM

      I’ll do my best Llynnda. :D I’m hoping to spill the beans early next week – if all goes well.

  2. Beautiful dress, and doubly-so on such short notice!

  3. MayravB February 2, 2017 — 11:35 AM

    That fabric is so beautiful! I love the neckline of the dress–it’s…I dunno, graceful? It’s pretty, anyway!

    1. Liz February 2, 2017 — 1:46 PM

      I do think the neckline is one of my favorite design elements in this pattern. I have a soft spot for boat-neck styles as they remind me of all things classically elegant; like something Ms. Audrey Hepburn would wear.

  4. Jane February 2, 2017 — 1:02 PM

    On enjoying weddings: I went through a period of HATING them because I was in a difficult relationship and they made me dwell on my own unhappiness. Now that I’m in a new, good relationship, I find myself much more enthusiastic about hearing about other people’s joy. It’s still annoying being a (getting older) single girl, though; I’m DONE dancing to All the Single Ladies and Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Maybe that’s just me, though!

    1. Liz February 2, 2017 — 1:44 PM

      No Jane, it’s not just you. heh I tire of the ‘usual’ wedding songs; a dj can really make or break my desire to dance at a wedding.

  5. M. February 4, 2017 — 6:45 AM

    What a lovely dress! You look amazing in it and also your hair looks really beautiful! Neat trick with the horsehair in the hemline, I’ll write that down for future reference. I feel this makes the skirt part of the dress so swishy and eliminates the need to wear a petticoat beneath.

    1. Liz February 6, 2017 — 10:56 AM

      Horsehair braid hems really do give my full (light weight) skirts that extra bit of oomph M. I can’t ever justify packing a petticoat in my suitcase either, as I like to travel light when flying anywhere.

Leave a Comment