Tax Season is Here

For all of my US readers, I’m sure you know that this time of the year is tax season.  Fun Fun.

When I was 16, my dad taught me how to do my own taxes and I have been doing them on my own ever since.  But when I got married a few years back, I deferred to my hubby and we went to his tax guy.  Changing from single to married status, I wasn’t certain if there were any new tax things I was unaware of, so I thought it best to go see a professional.

But this year I decided I’d do them once again and save myself a bit of money in the process.

I don’t think you’ve seen my kitchen…  I have an aqua theme going on.  (All my dishes and small appliances are aqua too.)

Felix seemed quite impressed that I could do such a task, but to me taxes are really easy since I’ve been doing mine for over 10 years now.  I mean we don’t own anything huge and we don’t itemize our deductions so those two things make doing taxes a (relative) breeze.

If I ever own a home or have to itemize, I believe I’ll be singing a different tune!

When I was chatting with Felix, I likened the tax form to a Choose Your Own Adventure book since on the 1040 there are notes that lead you to directions, and from there to schedules, and sub-schedules, etc.  Felix seems to think we had read two different types of ‘choose your own adventure’ books.  heh

Hope you are all well and have completed your taxes in time.  And remember if you haven’t you can always file an extension without any major penalties (you may owe interest or incur minor penalties, but I’ve never had any issue with doing so in the past).  :)

*Tune back tomorrow for more sewing/knitting posts as usual.*

In: Uncategorized

1. Anthea April 10, 2013 — 12:36 PM

Love your kitchen!

Good luck with the taxes!

2. Gail April 10, 2013 — 2:26 PM

Oh, I love your kitchen! Taxes, not so much!

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:48 AM

heh Thanks Gail. Did you get yours all done this year?

1. Gail April 12, 2013 — 3:18 PM

Oh yeah – did them really early because we got a nice, big refund :-) If I had to pay, I’d probably wait til April!

3. Your kitchen is fantastic! I switched to one of those online tax prep things the year I began living in one state and working in another — tricky! But I am weirdly looking forward to doing them again next year, now that I’m all in one place. I think I must have read your kind of choose-your-own adventure books!

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:48 AM

Oh that does sound tricky. Mine have gotten a bit more complicated over the years, but not so much that I can’t figure it out, luckily.

4. I love your kitchen! I already did my taxes electronically.

5. Oh my, I adore your kitchen!! I’m in love with your kettle. Good luck with the taxes! :)

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:47 AM

Oh yes, I have a love-hate relationship with my tea kettle. It doesn’t have a whistle on it which makes it tricky to remember to come and turn it off once the water is boiling. I always have to set a timer instead… But sometimes we forget.

6. Clare S April 11, 2013 — 7:30 AM

Well hopefully you can console your tax-working woes with the knowledge that your kitchen is stunning! Got some serious kitchen envy going on! :)

7. Meli April 11, 2013 — 8:21 AM

Look at you go!

8. Your kitchen is ADORABLE. I see the breadbox from our Randolph Street Market adventures – it’s perfect in there! Good luck with the taxes! I spent my refund on movers, but I guess it was worth it :)

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:46 AM

Thanks Meg! I think what you see is the bread box is actually my radio. heh

My breadbox never made it into my kitchen and is hanging out in my dining room instead. I’m debating bring it to work for cute storage…

9. I spent 5 years in public accounting preparing tax forms with every possible complex scenario – and I still don’t like doing mine :) Luckily hubby is also a CPA and is more than happy to do our taxes. Though even once you have to start itemizing – I promise it is not too difficult. If you just have mortgage interest and charitable contributions it is no more complex than reporting your wages.

P.S. – we have the same kitchen towels. I love them ;)

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:45 AM

You guys are smarties! :) I love that you’re a sewing/knitting CPA.

Thanks for the confidence boost on continuing to do my own if I ever own or have to deduct. :)

10. Carla April 12, 2013 — 9:02 AM

My dear!!! get turbo tax on your computer and you will save a lot of doubts it will tell you if you can do it or not. and you will have your taxes done in less than 30 mins. all forms printed neatly etc.

1. Liz April 12, 2013 — 9:44 AM

I double check my own work against one of the free software versions. The free software versions don’t have a few of the forms that I need included in them and I refuse to pay for the software when I think it should always be free. I’m just stubborn like that.

Plus I saved myself $10 more this year by doing my own via paper/pen. :)

11. Sara April 12, 2013 — 6:07 PM

I’ve been doing my own taxes since college (I’m 33 now) and I love it! I also do them with pen and paper…no e-filing for me. I will say that I am a one-income household who has nothing financially interesting going on (such as investments, etc.). :)

12. Kelly April 12, 2013 — 11:23 PM

Good luck with your taxes! I just put mine in the mail today, such a feeling of accomplishment. Your kitchen is so cute, too, aqua is such a perfect kitchen color.